Jump to Main Content
- Mebs, Dietrich; Wunder, Cora; Toennes, Stefan W.
- Toxicon 2019 v.162 pp. 57-60
- Mantodea; Nephila; Orthoptera; antifeedants; arthropods; bitterness; feces; quinine; receptors; silk; silk glands; taste; toxicity
- ... Because of its bitter taste, quinine elicits strong antifeedant and toxic effects in animals including arthropods. In the present study, two mantis, Sphodromantis viridis, Hierodula membranacea, and two spider species, Nephila edulis, Selenocosmia javanensis, were offered a quinine solution or prey (crickets) contaminated or injected with quinine, which they ingested and survived without apparent ...
- Krämer, Jonas; Pohl, Hans; Predel, Reinhard
- Toxicon 2019 v.162 pp. 15-23
- Araneae; Chelifer cancroides; Scorpiones; antimicrobial peptides; arthropods; electrical treatment; hands; matrix-assisted laser desorption-ionization mass spectrometry; proteome; proteomics; transcriptomics; venoms
- ... Pseudoscorpions are very small arthropods with almost worldwide distribution. They possess a unique venom delivery system in the chelal hands of their pedipalps that has evolved independently from that of scorpions and spiders. Studies on the venom composition of pseudoscorpions are very rare. Recently, the potential venom composition of the pseudoscorpion Synsphyronus apimelus Harvey, 1987 (Pseud ...