Jump to Main Content
- Lu, Yanxi; Hayes, Morgan; Stinn, John P.; Brown-Brandl, Tami; Xin, Hongwei
- Transactions of the ASABE 2017 v.60 no.1 pp. 237-245
- ambient temperature; animal housing; data analysis; farrowing; finishing; heat; pregnancy; relative humidity; swine; swine production; ventilation systems
- ... Heat and moisture production (HMP) rates of animals are used for calculation of ventilation rate (VR) in animal housing. New swine HMP data revealed considerable differences from previously reported data. This project determined new design VR and evaluated differences from previously recommended VRs. The swine production stages evaluated included gestation, farrowing, nursery, growing and finishin ...
- Schuster, N. R.; Bartelt-Hunt, S. L.; Durso, L. M.; Gilley, J. E.; Li, X.; Marx, D. B.; Schmidt, A. M.; Snow, D. D.
- Transactions of the ASABE 2017 v.60 no.1 pp. 53-66
- ammonium nitrogen; corn; electrical conductivity; manure spreading; nitrate nitrogen; nitrogen; nutrient management; overland flow; pH; phosphorus; pig manure; plant nutrition; rainfall simulation; runoff; slurries; soil; swine; water quality
- ... This study was conducted to measure the effects of swine slurry application method, time following slurry application, and runoff rate on selected water quality characteristics. Slurry from a commercial swine operation was broadcast or injected on field plots at a rate required to meet annual nitrogen requirements for corn. Rainfall simulation tests were conducted at five varying periods following ...