Jump to Main Content
- Nofsinger, G.W.; Bothast, R.J.; Anderson, R.A.
- Transactions of the ASAE 1979 v.22 no.5
- corn; drying; chemical treatment; ammonia; formaldehyde; antifungal properties; antibacterial properties; bacteria; molds (fungi); antimicrobial agents; preservatives
- ... Low levels of gaseous NH3, formaldehyde, and methylene-bis-propionate were compared as microbial inhibitors to extend the time for ambient drying of high-moisture maize. Intermittent application of 0.12%(d.b.) NH3 gas to 40.9 t of 26% m.c.(w.b.) maize permitted ambient air drying to 14.7% m.c.(w.b.) in 38 days with an air flow of 2.9 m3/min.t. Bacteria and moulds were effectively controlled throug ...
- Allen, R.R.; Wiese, A.F.; Hudspeth, E.B. Jr.
- Transactions of the ASAE 1979 v.22 no.5 pp. 992
- water content; Helianthus annuus; irrigated farming; preharvest treatment; paraquat; desiccation (plant physiology); mechanical harvesting; drying; seeds; combine harvesters; Texas
- ... Research was undertaken to determine the effect of chemical desiccation on plant drying and the efficiency of a modified small grain combine header for harvesting oilseed sunflower. Preharvest plant and seed drying patterns with and without a chemical desiccant (paraquat) were evaluated. After plants reached physiological maturity, seed in untreated plants dried to the safe threshing and moisture ...