Jump to Main Content
- Ribeiro, Francisca; O'Brien, Jake W.; Galloway, Tamara; Thomas, Kevin V.
- Trends in analytical chemistry 2019 v.111 pp. 139-147
- aquatic invertebrates; birds; environmental impact; humans; insects; marine mammals; mechanism of action; nanoplastics; sea turtles; tissues
- ... Following a decade of research on the environmental impacts of microplastics, a knowledge gap remains on the processes by which micro and nanoplastics pass across biological barriers, enter cells and are subject to biological mechanisms. Here we summarize available literature on the accumulation of microplastics and their associated contaminants in a variety of organisms including humans. Most dat ...
- Pinto da Costa, João; Reis, Vanessa; Paço, Ana; Costa, Mónica; Duarte, Armando C.; Rocha-Santos, Teresa
- Trends in analytical chemistry 2019 v.111 pp. 173-184
- ecotoxicology; nanoplastics; risk; risk assessment
- ... The quantification of micro- and nanoplastics in environmental matrices is an analytical challenge and pushes to the use of unrealistic high exposure concentrations in laboratory studies which can lead to manifestations of ecotoxicological effects and risks estimation that are transient under natural conditions. Moreover, in field studies, it is difficult to compare the data obtained due to the la ...