Jump to Main Content
- Perilla, Juan R.; Gronenborn, Angela M.
- Trends in biochemical sciences 2016 v.41 no.5 pp. 410-420
- capsid; chemical structure; containers; drugs; genes; pathogens; proteins; viruses
- ... Retroviral capsid cores are proteinaceous containers that self-assemble to encase the viral genome and a handful of proteins that promote infection. Their function is to protect and aid in the delivery of viral genes to the nucleus of the host, and, in many cases, infection pathways are influenced by capsid–cellular interactions. From a mathematical perspective, capsid cores are polyhedral cages a ...
- PubMed Central:
- Adams, David R.; Pyne, Susan; Pyne, Nigel J.
- Trends in biochemical sciences 2016 v.41 no.5 pp. 395-409
- cell viability; crystal structure; phospholipids; phosphorylation; phosphotransferases (kinases); physiology; proteins; sphingosine
- ... Sphingosine kinases (SK1 and SK2) catalyse the conversion of sphingosine into sphingosine 1-phosphate and control fundamental cellular processes, including cell survival, proliferation, differentiation, migration, and immune function. In this review, we highlight recent breakthroughs in the structural and functional characterisation of SK1 and these are contextualised by analysis of crystal struct ...