Jump to Main Content
- Xin, Fengxue; Dong, Weiliang; Zhang, Wenming; Ma, Jiangfeng; Jiang, Min
- Trends in biotechnology 2019 v.37 no.2 pp. 167-180
- Clostridium; biobutanol; bioprocessing; butanol; cellulolytic microorganisms; cellulose; cellulosome; fermentation; lignocellulose; saccharification
- ... Biobutanol production directly from lignocellulose, known as consolidated bioprocessing (CBP), is expected to be much less expensive than a process where hydrolytic enzyme production, cellulose saccharification, and microbial fermentation are accomplished separately. However, few microbes possess both cellulolytic and solventogenic properties in nature. Current research aims to endow cellulolytic ...
- McCarty, Nicholas S.; Ledesma-Amaro, Rodrigo
- Trends in biotechnology 2019 v.37 no.2 pp. 181-197
- biocompatible materials; biofuels; biotechnology; carbon; fermentation; microbial communities; microorganisms; synthetic biology; waste treatment
- ... Microbial consortia have been used in biotechnology processes, including fermentation, waste treatment, and agriculture, for millennia. Today, synthetic biologists are increasingly engineering microbial consortia for diverse applications, including the bioproduction of medicines, biofuels, and biomaterials from inexpensive carbon sources. An improved understanding of natural microbial ecosystems, ...