Jump to Main Content
- Faust, Karoline
- Trends in biotechnology 2019 v.37 no.2 pp. 123-125
- biodegradation; biotechnology; experimental design; microorganisms; models
- ... Consortia outperform single microorganisms at multiple tasks. However, consortium design is challenging and successful application examples are rare. A major challenge is the selection of consortium members such that performance is optimized. In a recent publication, metabolic modeling has been successfully applied to aid consortium design. ...
- McCarty, Nicholas S.; Ledesma-Amaro, Rodrigo
- Trends in biotechnology 2019 v.37 no.2 pp. 181-197
- biocompatible materials; biofuels; biotechnology; carbon; fermentation; microbial communities; microorganisms; synthetic biology; waste treatment
- ... Microbial consortia have been used in biotechnology processes, including fermentation, waste treatment, and agriculture, for millennia. Today, synthetic biologists are increasingly engineering microbial consortia for diverse applications, including the bioproduction of medicines, biofuels, and biomaterials from inexpensive carbon sources. An improved understanding of natural microbial ecosystems, ...