Jump to Main Content
- Violle, Cyrille; Thuiller, Wilfried; Mouquet, Nicolas; Munoz, François; Kraft, Nathan J.B.; Cadotte, Marc W.; Livingstone, Stuart W.; Mouillot, David
- Trends in ecology & evolution 2017 v.32 no.5 pp. 356-367
- biodiversity; biologists; ecosystems; extinction; risk
- ... Rarity has been a central topic for conservation and evolutionary biologists aiming to determine the species characteristics that cause extinction risk. More recently, beyond the rarity of species, the rarity of functions or functional traits, called functional rarity, has gained momentum in helping to understand the impact of biodiversity decline on ecosystem functioning. However, a conceptual fr ...
- PubMed Central:
- Laland, Kevin N.
- Trends in ecology & evolution 2017 v.32 no.5 pp. 316-317
- biologists; culture and humanities; ecosystems; epigenetics; researchers; scientists; social sciences; United Kingdom
- ... November 7–9, 2016 witnessed a joint discussion meeting of the Royal Society and the British Academy (the UK national academies for the sciences and social sciences, respectively) entitled ‘New Trends in Evolutionary Biology: Biological, Philosophical and Social Science Perspectives’. The meeting, anticipated with a mix of feverish enthusiasm and dread, sold out months in advance, the eager audien ...