Jump to Main Content
- Salehi, Bahare; Zucca, Paolo; Orhan, Ilkay Erdogan; Azzini, Elena; Adetunji, Charles Oluwaseun; Mohammed, Soheb Anwar; Banerjee, Sanjay K.; Sharopov, Farukh; Rigano, Daniela; Sharifi-Rad, Javad; Armstrong, Lorene; Martorell, Miquel; Sureda, Antoni; Martins, Natália; Selamoğlu, Zeliha; Ahmad, Zaheer
- Trends in food science & technology 2019 v.86 pp. 502-516
- Allium sativum; allicin; antifungal properties; antioxidants; antiparasitic properties; biosynthesis; cardiovascular diseases; clinical trials; diabetes mellitus; drug formulations; food matrix; garlic; human health; immunomodulators; in vivo studies; neoplasms; odors; pharmacokinetics; thiols
- ... Allicin is an organosulfur and defensive compound found in garlic (Allium sativum L.) and other Allium species. Its unique odor is easily detectable, and its effects on human health have been studied since ancient times.In this compressive review we report the presence of allicin in different Allium species, their biosynthesis, pharmacokinetics, absorption, and safety profile. Among the main allic ...
- Papoutsis, Konstantinos; Mathioudakis, Matthaios M.; Hasperué, Joaquín H.; Ziogas, Vasileios
- Trends in food science & technology 2019 v.86 pp. 479-491
- Citrus; Penicillium digitatum; Penicillium italicum; antifungal properties; biological control agents; cell walls; energy; enzymes; fludioxonil; fruits; fungal growth; horticultural crops; hot water treatment; human health; imazalil; in vitro studies; mechanism of action; molds (fungi); pathogens; phytoalexins; polyphenols; postharvest diseases; postharvest treatment; pyrimethanil; salts; secondary metabolites; thiabendazole
- ... Citrus is one of the most economically important horticultural crops in the world. Citrus are vulnerable to the postharvest decay caused by Penicillium digitatum and P. italicum, which are both wound pathogens. To date, several non-chemical postharvest treatments have been investigated for the control of both pathogens, trying to provide an alternative solution to the synthetic fungicides (imazali ...