Jump to Main Content
- de la Rosa, Orlando; Flores-Gallegos, Adriana Carolina; Muñíz-Marquez, Diana; Nobre, Clarisse; Contreras-Esquivel, Juan C.; Aguilar, Cristobal N.
- Trends in food science & technology 2019 v.91 pp. 139-146
- agricultural wastes; biotechnology; cost effectiveness; environmental impact; enzymes; forest industries; fructooligosaccharides; functional foods; metabolites; microbial growth; nutrients; prebiotics; proteins; value added; waste management
- ... The prebiotic properties of fructooligosaccharides (FOS) are well documented. The high demand of functional food by the food, pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries have lead researchers to explore new and more feasible processes to produce FOS. Not only economical substrates are being exploited to reduce costs, but also, seeking to attend a global problem, the excessive generation of agro-in ...
- Chua, Jian-Yong; Liu, Shao-Quan
- Trends in food science & technology 2019 v.91 pp. 24-32
- biofuels; byproducts; citric acid; emulsifiers; enzymatic treatment; enzymes; functional foods; isoflavones; learning; minerals; nutrients; oligosaccharides; pollution; pollution control; prebiotics; probiotics; sewage; soy protein isolate; tofu; wastewater; whey
- ... Soy whey is a by-product generated from both tofu and soy protein isolate production. This by-product contains a substantial amount of nutrients consisting of proteins, simple sugars, oligosaccharides, minerals, and soy isoflavones. Soy whey is commonly disposed of into the sewage after it is generated, and this pollutes water bodies.Researchers from various countries have explored the valorizatio ...