Jump to Main Content
- de Jonge, Patrick A.; Nobrega, Franklin L.; Brouns, Stan J.J.; Dutilh, Bas E.
- Trends in microbiology 2019 v.27 no.1 pp. 51-63
- bacteriophages; evolution; host range; hosts; metagenomics; models; species diversity
- ... The host range of a bacteriophage is the taxonomic diversity of hosts it can successfully infect. Host range, one of the central traits to understand in phages, is determined by a range of molecular interactions between phage and host throughout the infection cycle. While many well studied model phages seem to exhibit a narrow host range, recent ecological and metagenomics studies indicate that ph ...
- Trinh, Jimmy T.; Zeng, Lanying
- Trends in microbiology 2019 v.27 no.1 pp. 3-4
- bacteriophages; cytolysis; lysogeny; therapeutics
- ... There are many strategies by which cell fates are decided. In one intriguing case, viruses communicate via the quorum-sensing-like ‘arbitrium’ system to bias infection outcomes. Through elucidating the detailed molecular mechanisms of such strategies, we can better understand viral propagation and offer insights into the treatment of viral diseases. ...