Jump to Main Content
- Botella, Helene; Vaubourgeix, Julien
- Trends in microbiology 2019 v.27 no.1 pp. 4-7
- amino acid derivatives; fluorescence; fluorescent dyes; metabolism; peptidoglycans
- ... Fluorescent amino acid analogs have proven to be useful tools for studying the dynamics of peptidoglycan metabolism. García-Heredia and colleagues showed that their route of incorporation differs depending on the adjunct fluorophore and applied this property to investigate mycobacterial peptidoglycan synthesis and remodeling with heightened granularity. ...
- Davis, Kimberly M.; Isberg, Ralph R.
- Trends in microbiology 2019 v.27 no.1 pp. 64-74
- Mycobacterium; Salmonella; Yersinia; antibiotic resistance; genes; metabolism; pathogenesis; proteins; virulence
- ... It has been known for decades that individual cells within pathogenic bacterial populations have reduced antibiotic susceptibility, which is linked to decreased metabolic rates. A similar phenomenon occurs with virulence-associated proteins, as reduced expression is associated with increased fitness of individual cells. Non-producers within the population can benefit from the virulence proteins pr ...