Jump to Main Content
- Botella, Helene; Vaubourgeix, Julien
- Trends in microbiology 2019 v.27 no.1 pp. 4-7
- amino acid derivatives; fluorescence; fluorescent dyes; metabolism; peptidoglycans
- ... Fluorescent amino acid analogs have proven to be useful tools for studying the dynamics of peptidoglycan metabolism. García-Heredia and colleagues showed that their route of incorporation differs depending on the adjunct fluorophore and applied this property to investigate mycobacterial peptidoglycan synthesis and remodeling with heightened granularity. ...
- Foster, Timothy J.
- Trends in microbiology 2019 v.27 no.1 pp. 26-38
- antibiotic resistance; biosynthesis; cell walls; daptomycin; drugs; enzyme activity; genes; medicine; methicillin; methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus; peptidoglycans; teichoic acids; vancomycin; virulence
- ... The use of β-lactam antibiotics to treat infections caused by Staphylococcus aureus has been severely compromised by the acquisition by horizontal gene transfer of a gene that encodes the β-lactam-insensitive penicillin-binding protein PBP2a. This allows methicillin-resistant S. aureus (MRSA) to proliferate in the presence of β-lactam antibiotics. Paradoxically the dependence on PBP2a for the esse ...