Jump to Main Content
- Morley, Valerie J.; Woods, Robert J.; Read, Andrew F.
- Trends in microbiology 2019 v.27 no.10 pp. 864-877
- antibiotic resistance; antibiotics; drug therapy; microorganisms; pathogens; patients; risk
- ... Antimicrobial therapy promotes resistance emergence in target infections and in off-target microbiota. Off-target resistance emergence threatens patient health when off-target populations are a source of future infections, as they are for many important drug-resistant pathogens. However, the health risks of antimicrobial exposure in off-target populations remain largely unquantified, making ration ...
- PubMed Central:
- Price, Erin P.; Sarovich, Derek S.
- Trends in microbiology 2019 v.27 no.4 pp. 289-291
- Burkholderia multivorans; antibiotic resistance; antibiotics; bacterial infections; cystic fibrosis; mortality; patients
- ... Bacterial infections are the primary cause of respiratory decline and mortality in cystic fibrosis (CF) patients. In a recent study, Diaz Caballero and colleagues  (PLoS Pathog. 2018;14:e1007453) catalogued the molecular adaptation of a decade-long Burkholderia multivorans infection in a Canadian CF patient, which evolved to become resistant towards multiple classes of antibiotics. ...