Jump to Main Content
- Tytgat, Hanne L.P.; Nobrega, Franklin L.; van der Oost, John; de Vos, Willem M.
- Trends in microbiology 2019 v.27 no.1 pp. 17-25
- bacterial communities; biofilm; biomarkers; colorectal neoplasms; digestive system diseases; digestive tract mucosa; human health; pathogens
- ... Bacterial communities are known to impact human health and disease. Mixed species biofilms, mostly pathogenic in nature, have been observed in dental and gastric infections as well as in intestinal diseases, chronic gut wounds and colon cancer. Apart from the appendix, the presence of thick polymicrobial biofilms in the healthy gut mucosa is still debated. Polymicrobial biofilms containing potenti ...
- Pohlschroder, Mechthild; Schulze, Stefan
- Trends in microbiology 2019 v.27 no.1 pp. 86-87
- Haloferax volcanii; biochemical pathways; biofilm; gene deletion; gene editing; genetic vectors; genome; glycosylation; models; non-coding RNA; proteomics; transcriptomics
- ... [Display omitted]In this infographic we present the main tools available for the halophilic archaeon Haloferax volcanii, which have enabled successful research on its biology, including its genetics, proteostasis, cell surface structures, metabolic pathways, and adaptation to high salt environments.Isolated from the Dead Sea in 1975, Haloferax volcanii thrives in high salt environments and has eme ...