Jump to Main Content
- Zhang, Kai; Beverley, Stephen M.
- Trends in parasitology 2019 v.35 no.12 pp. 947-949
- Leishmania; carbohydrates; carbon metabolism; drugs; mannosyltransferases; parasites; virulence
- ... Leishmania parasites synthesize mannogens, a unique type of storage carbohydrate, from finely tuned interactions between synthesis and degradation by a family of mannosyltransferase/phosphorylases (MTPs) newly discovered by Sernee et al. The crucial roles of mannogen in regulating central carbon metabolism and in vivo virulence suggest the potential of MTPs as promising drug targets. ...
- Ribeiro, Ana Rita; Luis, Carla; Fernandes, Ruben; Botelho, Monica C.
- Trends in parasitology 2019 v.35 no.12 pp. 964-971
- anthelmintics; endocrine system; epidemiology; hosts; parasites; schistosomiasis
- ... There is increasing attention on the complex interactions occurring between schistosome parasites and their hosts. However, little is known about the occurrence, epidemiology, and mechanisms of schistosomiasis-associated infertility. In this article, we argue that an in-depth understanding of the interplay between parasites and the host endocrine system may significantly enhance current knowledge ...