Jump to Main Content
- Jalovecka, Marie; Sojka, Daniel; Ascencio, Mariano; Schnittger, Leonhard
- Trends in parasitology 2019 v.35 no.5 pp. 356-368
- Babesia; Plasmodium; disease vectors; humans; phylogeny; risk; ticks
- ... Although Babesia represents an important worldwide veterinary threat and an emerging risk to humans, this parasite has been poorly studied as compared to Plasmodium, its malaria-causing relative. In fact, Babesia employs highly specific survival strategies during its intraerythrocytic development and its intricate journey through the tick vector. This review introduces a substantially extended mol ...
- Cauchemez, Simon; Hoze, Nathanaël; Cousien, Anthony; Nikolay, Birgit; ten bosch, Quirine
- Trends in parasitology 2019 v.35 no.5 pp. 369-379
- disease control; infectious diseases; mathematical models; public health; statistical analysis
- ... Mathematical models play an increasingly important role in our understanding of the transmission and control of infectious diseases. Here, we present concrete examples illustrating how mathematical models, paired with rigorous statistical methods, are used to parse data of different levels of detail and breadth and estimate key epidemiological parameters (e.g., transmission and its determinants, s ...