Jump to Main Content
- Weerakoon, Kosala G.; McManus, Donald P.
- Trends in parasitology 2016 v.32 no.5 pp. 378-391
- DNA; diagnostic techniques; gene amplification; humans; parasites; parasitoses; point-of-care testing; public health
- ... Parasites often cause devastating diseases and represent a significant public health and economic burden. More accurate and convenient diagnostic tools are needed in support of parasite control programmes in endemic regions, and for rapid point-of-care diagnosis in nonendemic areas. The detection of cell-free DNA (cfDNA) is a relatively new concept that is being applied in the current armamentariu ...
- Yanow, Stephanie K.; Gavina, Kenneth; Gnidehou, Sedami; Maestre, Amanda
- Trends in parasitology 2016 v.32 no.5 pp. 416-427
- Plasmodium vivax; basins; burden of disease; diagnostic techniques; liver; malaria; monitoring; pregnancy; pregnant women; risk; Colombia; Latin America
- ... In Latin America, four million pregnancies are at risk of malaria annually, but malaria in pregnancy is largely overlooked. As countries progress toward malaria elimination, targeting reservoirs of transmission is a priority. Pregnant women are an important risk group because they harbor asymptomatic infections and dormant liver stages of Plasmodium vivax that cause relapses. Of significant concer ...