Jump to Main Content
- Prodhan, M. Asaduzzaman; Finnegan, Patrick M.; Lambers, Hans
- Trends in plant science 2019 v.24 no.1 pp. 69-82
- Proteaceae; crop yield; crops; landscapes; nitrogen; phosphorus; phosphorus fertilizers; plant nitrogen content; ribosomal RNA; rock phosphate; sulfur
- ... Phosphorus (P) fertilisers, made from rock phosphate, are used to attain high crop yields. However, rock phosphate is a finite resource and excessive P fertilisers pollute our environment, stressing the need for more P-efficient crops. Some Proteaceae have evolved in extremely P-impoverished environments. One of their adaptations is to curtail the abundance of ribosomal RNA, and thus protein, and ...
- Herman, Rod A.; Zhuang, Meibao; Storer, Nicholas P.; Cnudde, Filip; Delaney, Bryan
- Trends in plant science 2019 v.24 no.1 pp. 58-68
- crops; genetic engineering; genetically modified plants; risk; risk assessment
- ... The risks of not considering benefits in risk assessment are often overlooked. Risks are also often evaluated without consideration of the broader context. We discuss these two concepts in relation to genetically engineered (GE) crops. The health, environmental, and economic risks and benefits of GE crops are exemplified and presented in the context of modern agriculture. Misattribution of unique ...