Jump to Main Content
- van Velzen, Robin; Doyle, Jeff J.; Geurts, Rene
- Trends in plant science 2019 v.24 no.1 pp. 49-57
- genes; nitrogen; nitrogen fixation; nitrogen-fixing bacteria; nitrogen-fixing plants; nodulation; root nodules; symbiosis
- ... Root nodule endosymbiosis with nitrogen-fixing bacteria provides plants with unlimited access to fixed nitrogen, but at a significant energetic cost. Nodulation is generally considered to have originated in parallel in different lineages, but this hypothesis downplays the genetic complexity of nodulation and requires independent recruitment of many common features across lineages. Recent phylogeno ...
- Shao, Zhu-Qing; Xue, Jia-Yu; Wang, Qiang; Wang, Bin; Chen, Jian-Qun
- Trends in plant science 2019 v.24 no.1 pp. 9-12
- Chlorophyta; ancestry; disease resistance; genes; pathogens
- ... The NBS-LRR genes are functionally responsible for plant resistance to alien pathogens. Here, we show that NBS-LRR genes originated in the common ancestor of the whole green lineage, and have rapidly diverged into three subclasses with different domain combinations (TNL, CNL, and RNL) before the split of green algae. ...