Jump to Main Content
- Prodhan, M. Asaduzzaman; Finnegan, Patrick M.; Lambers, Hans
- Trends in plant science 2019 v.24 no.1 pp. 69-82
- Proteaceae; crop yield; crops; landscapes; nitrogen; phosphorus; phosphorus fertilizers; plant nitrogen content; ribosomal RNA; rock phosphate; sulfur
- ... Phosphorus (P) fertilisers, made from rock phosphate, are used to attain high crop yields. However, rock phosphate is a finite resource and excessive P fertilisers pollute our environment, stressing the need for more P-efficient crops. Some Proteaceae have evolved in extremely P-impoverished environments. One of their adaptations is to curtail the abundance of ribosomal RNA, and thus protein, and ...
- Kollist, Hannes; Zandalinas, Sara I.; Sengupta, Soham; Nuhkat, Maris; Kangasjärvi, Jaakko; Mittler, Ron
- Trends in plant science 2019 v.24 no.1 pp. 25-37
- abiotic stress; calcium; humidity; landscapes; light intensity; plant growth; plant vascular system; signal transduction; stomatal movement; temperature
- ... Plants grow and reproduce within a highly dynamic environment that can see abrupt changes in conditions, such as light intensity, temperature, humidity, or interactions with biotic agents. Recent studies revealed that plants can respond within seconds to some of these conditions, engaging many different metabolic and molecular networks, as well as rapidly altering their stomatal aperture. Some of ...