Jump to Main Content
- Chaweewan, Yeetoh; Taylor, Nigel
- Tropical plant biology 2015 v.8 no.1-2 pp. 1-8
- Manihot esculenta; cambium; cassava; fibrous roots; parenchyma (plant tissue); pith; planting; rhizogenesis; roots; secondary xylem; starch; storage organs; tracheids
- ... Formation of storage root organs in cassava (Manihot esculenta) is poorly understood, but considered to occur when a subset of fibrous roots receive unknown signals to undergo secondary thickening. Large amounts of secondary xylem parenchyma are then produced in which starch is synthesized and stored. Anatomical studies were undertaken to examine rhizogenesis from greenhouse-grown cassava stem cut ...
- Santos Brito, Michael; Nobile, Paula Macedo; Bottcher, Alexandra; dos Santos, Adriana Brombini; Creste, Silvana; de Landell, Marcos Guimarães Andrade; Vincentz, Michel; Vicentini, Renato; Mazzafera, Paulo
- Tropical plant biology 2015 v.8 no.1-2 pp. 19-30
- Bayesian theory; Saccharum; biosynthesis; cell walls; correlation; culms; developmental stages; ethanol production; genes; genotype; internodes; lignin; lignocellulose; pith; sugarcane; transcription (genetics); transcription factors
- ... Cell wall recalcitrance, which is conferred in part by lignin, is the main bottleneck in lignocellulosic ethanol production. Transcription factors (TFs) have been suggested as targets to reduce or modify lignin. Here we analysed the expression profile of nine sugarcane TFs, their relationships with genes of the monolignol biosynthesis pathway, and their effects on lignin content and composition. O ...