Jump to Main Content
- Coccolo, Silvia; Pearlmutter, David; Kaempf, Jerome; Scartezzini, Jean-Louis
- Urban forestry & urban greening 2018 v.35 pp. 91-105
- Acacia; energy flow; methodology; microclimate; models; natural ventilation; planting; sensation; shade; surface water; temporal variation; thermal stress; trees; urban areas; urban planning; United Arab Emirates
- ... Outdoor human comfort is an important factor in the evaluation of the liveability of a city as well as for promoting people’s health and well-being. In hot arid climates in particular, urban planning and design can considerably impact the day-to-day thermal comfort of the pedestrians, for better or for worse. Strategies to reduce thermal discomfort include shading structures, water bodies, and the ...
- Becker, Stefanie L.; von der Wall, Gregor
- Urban forestry & urban greening 2018 v.35 pp. 82-90
- finance; gardening; gardens; governance; soil; urban population
- ... This article explores how resource dependence leads to barriers to urban community gardening. Nine barriers to urban gardening were identified: finance, space, organizational structure, water, external damage, soil, communication, interpersonal issues, and participation issues. Using process tracing and grounded theory, we found that these barriers could be divided into three groups: primary, seco ...