Jump to Main Content
- Silliman, S.E.; Fisker, E.; Pescatore, J.
- Vadose zone journal 2011 v.10 no.1 pp. 425-436
- unsaturated flow, etc ; laboratory experimentation; lysimeters; mathematical models; permeability; sediments; vadose zone; Show all 7 Subjects
- ... Laboratory experiments and numerical studies are used to study the potential to induce water flux in the vadose zone, which is characterized by significant horizontal components of the water velocity. Specifically, a question is addressed as to whether water can be injected or withdrawn from lenses or layers of fine sediments (bordered by coarse sediments), thus establishing flow in those portions ...
- Smith, J. E.; Henry, E. J.; Bashir, R.
- Vadose zone journal 2011 v.10 no.1 pp. 403-411
- unsaturated flow, etc ; mathematical models; migratory behavior; organic compounds; porous media; sand; soil; solutes; surface tension; time domain reflectometry; vadose zone; water content; water pollution; wettability; Show all 14 Subjects
- ... Most organic compounds, when dissolved in water, decrease the surface tension of the water and many change the wettability of porous media. This directly affects capillary pressures and can induce water flow and solute transport in the vadose zone. This study investigated a coupled unsaturated flow and transport phenomenon, solute-dependent capillarity-induced focused flow (SCIFF), that has signif ...