Jump to Main Content
- Janna M. Levin; Janet S. Herman; George M. Hornberger; James E. Saiers
- Vadose zone journal 2006 v.5 no.2 pp. 564-569
- soil colloids; soil transport processes; unsaturated conditions; unsaturated flow; soil pore system; diffusion; infiltration (hydrology)
- ... Colloids may transport contaminants through unsaturated soils to the groundwater, and colloid mobilization is associated with transient hydrological events and sustained, steady flow. We examined mechanisms of colloid mobilization from an intact, unsaturated soil core during relatively steady flow. We collected the core from a site where soils contain 26% clay and infiltration occurs only at capil ...
- Poulsen, T.G.; Moldrup, P.; Jonge, L.W. de; Komatsu, T.
- Vadose zone journal 2006 v.5 no.2 pp. 649-656
- macropores; mathematical models; agricultural soils; clay fraction; soil water content; soil colloids; bromine; porosity; bulk density; leaching; anions; diffusion; permeability
- ... Bromide tracer breakthrough and natural soil colloid leaching curves for undisturbed soil columns were used to characterize dissolved and suspended matter transport at the field scale. Data from 33 columns of 20-cm diameter and 20-cm height were used. Columns were collected in a grid of 25 by 30 m at an agricultural field. A two-region (mobile-immobile water phase, MIM) solute transport model was ...