Jump to Main Content
- Janna M. Levin; Janet S. Herman; George M. Hornberger; James E. Saiers
- Vadose zone journal 2006 v.5 no.2 pp. 564-569
- soil colloids; soil transport processes; unsaturated conditions; unsaturated flow; soil pore system; diffusion; infiltration (hydrology)
- ... Colloids may transport contaminants through unsaturated soils to the groundwater, and colloid mobilization is associated with transient hydrological events and sustained, steady flow. We examined mechanisms of colloid mobilization from an intact, unsaturated soil core during relatively steady flow. We collected the core from a site where soils contain 26% clay and infiltration occurs only at capil ...
- Parker, J.C.
- Vadose zone journal 2003 v.2 no.2 pp. -
- simulation models; soil pollution; groundwater contamination; soil pore system; tetrachloroethylene; volatilization; porosity; volatile organic compounds; soil air; diffusion; soil transport processes; nonaqueous phase liquids; vadose zone; water table
- ... A Fickian model is described for dispersive vapor transport due to "pumping" induced by barometric pressure fluctuations and periodic water table fluctuations. The approach is appropriate for time scales that are large relative to the period of induced airflow variations. Comparisons of the magnitude of dispersive fluxes with those due solely to molecular diffusion indicated that dispersive vapor ...