Jump to Main Content
- Wang, Meng; Yang, Han; Ergas, Sarina J.; van der Steen, Peter
- Water research 2015 v.87 pp. 38-48
- aeration; ammonia; anaerobic digestion; bacteria; biomass; carbon; dissolved oxygen; hybrids; microalgae; mixing; nitrification; nitrites; nitrogen; nitrogen content; oxygen; photophase; photosynthesis; pig manure; scotophase; sludge; streams
- ... Removal of nitrogen from anaerobically digested swine manure centrate was investigated in a photo-sequencing batch reactor (PSBR) with alternating light and dark periods. Microalgal photosynthesis was shown to provide enough oxygen for complete nitritation during the light period. With addition of an organic carbon source during the dark period, the reactor removed over 90% total nitrogen (TN) wit ...
- Aichinger, Peter; Wadhawan, Tanush; Kuprian, Martin; Higgins, Matthew; Ebner, Christian; Fimml, Christian; Murthy, Sudhir; Wett, Bernhard
- Water research 2015 v.87 pp. 416-423
- ammonia; anaerobic digesters; anaerobic digestion; biogas; carbon; case studies; energy balance; energy efficiency; hydrolysis; infrastructure; methane production; organic wastes; polymers; sewage sludge; wastewater treatment; whey
- ... Making good use of existing water infrastructure by adding organic wastes to anaerobic digesters improves the energy balance of a wastewater treatment plant (WWTP) substantially. This paper explores co-digestion load limits targeting a good trade-off for boosting methane production, and limiting process-drawbacks on nitrogen-return loads, cake-production, solids-viscosity and polymer demand. Bio-m ...