Jump to Main Content
- Giannakis, Stefanos; Le, Truong-Thien Melvin; Entenza, Jose Manuel; Pulgarin, Cesar
- Water research 2018 v.143 pp. 334-345
- Escherichia coli; Klebsiella pneumoniae; Staphylococcus aureus; antibiotic resistance; bacteria; disinfection; experimental design; genes; human health; regrowth; solar radiation; wastewater
- ... The emergence of antibiotic resistance represents a major threat to human health. In this work we investigated the elimination of antibiotic resistant bacteria (ARB) by solar light and solar photo-Fenton processes. As such, we have designed an experimental plan in which several bacterial strains (Staphylococcus aureus, Escherichia coli and Klebsiella pneumoniae) possessing different drug-susceptib ...
- Moreira, Nuno F.F.; Orge, Carla A.; Ribeiro, Ana R.; Faria, Joaquim L.; Nunes, Olga C.; Pereira, M. Fernando R.; Silva, Adrián M.T.
- Water research 2015 v.87 pp. 87-96
- Escherichia coli; Staphylococcus aureus; amoxicillin; aqueous solutions; carbon; diclofenac; drugs; growth retardation; hormones; microorganisms; mineralization; oxidation; ozonation; ozone; pesticides; photocatalysis; photolysis; pollutants; toxicity; vapors; wastewater
- ... The degradation of two organic pollutants (amoxicillin and diclofenac) in 0.1 mM aqueous solutions was studied by using advanced oxidation processes, namely ozonation, photolysis, photolytic ozonation, photocatalysis and photocatalytic ozonation. Diclofenac was degraded quickly under direct photolysis by artificial light (medium-pressure vapor arc, λexc > 300 nm), while amoxicillin remained very s ...