Jump to Main Content
- Seiler, Andreas; Helldin, J-O.; Seiler, Christiane
- Wildlife biology 2004 v.10 no.3 pp. 225-233
- Alces alces; Capreolus capreolus; Lepus; Meles meles; Vulpes vulpes; badgers; bags; game animals; hares; interviews; mortality; population size; questionnaires; road kills; roads; traffic; wildlife; Sweden
- ... We present new estimates on the national road kill for nine large and medium-sized mammals in Sweden. Our estimates are based on 705 drivers' reports on the number of animals accidentally hit during individually chosen reference periods. During 1960–2000, a total of 881 animal-vehicle collisions were reported based on 243.6 million driven kilometres, representing 0.37% of the overall mileage drive ...
- Kamler, Jií; Homolka, Miloslav; Čižmár, David
- Wildlife biology 2004 v.10 no.3 pp. 235-240
- Capreolus capreolus; Cervus elaphus; Kjeldahl method; feces; growing season; near-infrared spectroscopy; nitrogen; nitrogen content; nutritional adequacy; ruminants; winter
- ... In this study, we tested the efficiency of near infrared reflectance spectroscopy (NIRS) to assess nitrogen content in faeces of free-living ruminants. Faecal nitrogen (FN) content was analysed in 168 pellet groups from red deer Cervus elaphus and roe deer Capreolus capreolus in the growing season and in winter using both the standard Kjeldahl method and NIRS analysis. Estimates of nitrogen conten ...