Jump to Main Content
- Landete-Castillejos, Tomás; García, Andrés; Gómez, Jose Ángel; Gallego, Laureano
- Wildlife biology 2003 v.9 no.2 pp. 131-139
- Cervus elaphus; body condition; calves; calving; deer; energy requirements; feeding level; food availability; food intake; lactation; lactation curve; lactose; lipid content; milk; milk fat; nutrient availability; progeny
- ... The plane of nutrition in deer may affect body condition and lactation in hinds and calf growth both through long-term density-dependent effects and by shortterm abiotically originated falls in food supply. Our study examines the effect of low nutrient availability after calving on lactation in captive Iberian red deer Cervus elaphus hispanicus. Twelve hinds and their calves were allotted to a foo ...
- Laundré, John W.; Hernández, Lucina
- Wildlife biology 2003 v.9 no.2 pp. 123-129
- Odocoileus hemionus; Puma concolor; deer; forest types; habitats; predation; predators; prediction; shrubs; snow; tree and stand measurements; trees; winter; Idaho; Utah
- ... Pumas Puma concolor are stalking predators of large ungulates that usually cache their prey. We hypothesize that they require specific habitats to successfully stalk their prey and that they select cache sites based on some set of criteria. We tested these predictions during a study of predation by pumas on mule deer Odocoileus hemionus in south-central Idaho and northwestern Utah, USA. We found c ...