Jump to Main Content
- Kazama, Makoto; Sato, Taizo; Hino, Akiya
- Zygote 2014 v.22 no.2 pp. 246-258
- Echinoidea; adenosine diphosphate; adenosine triphosphate; hydrogen peroxide; ice; longevity; oxidative stress; protons; respiratory rate; seawater; sodium; spawning; sperm concentration; sperm motility; spermatozoa
- ... We investigated the generation of reactive oxygen species (ROS) by spermatozoa in two species of sea urchin. ROS generation was accompanied by the initiation of motility and respiration and influenced the motility and fertilizability of spermatozoa. The sea urchin performs external fertilization in aerobic seawater. Sperm motility was initiated after spawning through Na⁺/H⁺ exchange. ROS generatio ...
- Crespo, Claudia Alejandra; Ramos, Inés; Medina, Marcela Fátima; Cisint, Susana Beatriz; Iruzubieta Villagra, Ana Lucrecia; Fernández, Silvia Nélida
- Zygote 2014 v.22 no.2 pp. 229-238
- Rhinella arenarum; histology; mucosa; oocytes; oviducts; preovulatory period; secretion; toads
- ... In amphibians, the components of the jelly coats that surround the oocytes at the time of fertilization and coordinate gamete interaction are secreted by the oviduct. We analysed the histological variations in the mucosa of the oviductal pars convoluta (PC) of Rhinella arenarum during the reproductive cycle and its relationship with secretion. During the preovulatory period, the mucosa reaches a h ...