Jump to Main Content
- García-Llamas, Paula; Geijzendorffer, Ilse R.; García-Nieto, Ana P.; Calvo, Leonor; Suárez-Seoane, Susana; Cramer, Wolfgang
- Regional environmental change 2019 v.19 no.2 pp. 529-542
- abandoned land; case studies; databases; ecosystem services; land cover; land use; landscapes; mountains; traditional farming; vegetation; Spain
- ... Land abandonment and the loss of traditional farming practices are thought to control land cover dynamics, and hence the ecosystem service supply in traditionally managed mountain landscapes. We evaluate the impact of land cover changes in Cantabrian Mountains (NW Spain), over 1990–2012, on the potential supply capacity of ecosystem services (regulating, provisioning, and cultural) at both regiona ...
- García, Maria Begoña; Silva, Jose Luis; Tejero, Pablo; Pardo, Iker; Gómez, Daniel
- Regional environmental change 2019 v.19 no.2 pp. 391-401
- censuses; climate change; data quality; databases; habitats; learning; mentoring; monitoring; motivation; outreach; species abundance; Spain
- ... Scientific projects can greatly benefit from the participation of non-professionals in identifying environmental changes at a variety of spatial and temporal scales. In 2010, we launched a long-term project in Northeast Spain (MONITO) that has recruited more than 200 volunteers and rangers. Participants monitor regional-species distribution and local-population abundance for a wide variety of plan ...