Jump to Main Content
- Serieys, Laurel E.K.; Bishop, Jacqueline; Okes, Nicola; Broadfield, Joleen; Winterton, Deborah Jean; Poppenga, Robert H.; Viljoen, Storme; Wayne, Robert K.; O'Riain, M. Justin
- The Science of the total environment 2019 v.666 pp. 581-590
- Caracal caracal, etc ; Aonyx capensis; Bubo; Genetta tigrina; Herpestidae; Mellivora capensis; anticoagulants; bioaccumulation; biodiversity; blood; forage; habitat destruction; invertebrates; issues and policy; linear models; liver; predators; risk factors; rodenticides; toxicity; trophic levels; vines; vineyards; wildlife; wildlife habitats; South Africa; Show all 26 Subjects
- ... Anticoagulant rodenticides (ARs) are used worldwide to control rodent populations. ARs bioaccumulate across trophic levels and threaten non-target wildlife. We investigated the prevalence of AR exposure in seven predator species in the rapidly developing Greater Cape Town region of South Africa – a mosaic of natural, urban, and agricultural areas within a global biodiversity hotspot. We focused sa ...
- Serieys, Laurel E. K.; Hammond-Aryee, Kenneth; Bishop, Jacqueline; Broadfield, Joleen; O'Riain, M. Justin; van Helden, Paul D.
- Journal of wildlife diseases 2019 v.55 no.4 pp. 951-953
- Caracal caracal, etc ; Toxoplasma gondii; antibodies; cats; feral animals; humans; pathogens; seroprevalence; sympatry; toxoplasmosis; wildlife; South Africa; Show all 12 Subjects
- ... We investigated Toxoplasmosis gondii antibody seroprevalence in free-ranging caracals (Caracal caracal) in Cape Town, South Africa, from 2014 to 2017. Seropositivity was 83% (24/ 29), which is substantially higher than that detected in sympatric feral domestic cat (Felis catus) populations. The impact of this pathogen on local human and wildlife communities may be of concern. ...