Jump to Main Content
- Zefeng Lin; Tingting Wu; Wanshun Wang; Binglin Li; Ming Wang; Lingling Chen; Hong Xia; Tao Zhang
- International journal of biological macromolecules 2019 v.140 pp. 330-342
- Escherichia coli; alginates; angiogenesis; antibiotic resistance; antibiotics; antimicrobial peptides; antimicrobial properties; biodegradability; collagen; drugs; fibroblasts; hyaluronic acid; mechanical properties; methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus; porosity; silver; tissue repair
- ... The increase in severe infections caused by antibiotic drug resistance and the decrease in the number of new antibacterial drugs approved for use in the last few decades are driving the need for the development of new antimicrobial strategies. Antimicrobial peptides (AMPs) are a potential new class of antimicrobial drugs that are expected to solve the problem of global antibiotic drug resistance. ...
- Emily J. Ryan; Alan J. Ryan; Arlyng González-Vázquez; Anahí Philippart; Francesca E. Ciraldo; Christopher Hobbs; Valeria Nicolosi; Aldo R. Boccaccini; Cathal J. Kearney; Fergal J. O'Brien
- Biomaterials 2019 v.197 pp. 405-416
- Staphylococcus aureus; angiogenesis; antibacterial properties; antibiotic resistance; antibiotics; biocompatibility; bone formation; bones; calcium; chick embryos; chickens; collagen; copper; debridement; glass; in vitro studies; mechanical properties; models; osteomyelitis; tissue engineering
- ... The bone infection osteomyelitis (typically by Staphylococcus aureus) usually requires a multistep procedure of surgical debridement, long-term systemic high-dose antibiotics, and – for larger defects – bone grafting. This, combined with the alarming rise in antibiotic resistance, necessitates development of alternative approaches. Herein, we describe a one-step treatment for osteomyelitis that co ...