Jump to Main Content
- Bazinet, Laurent, et al. Show all 3 Authors
- Innovative food science & emerging technologies 2019 v.52 pp. 221-231
- cheese industry; cleaning; cleaning agents; electric potential difference; electrodialysis; energy efficiency; fouling; mass transfer; pH; pulsed electric fields; sustainable development; whey
- ... Electrodialysis (ED) with pulsed electric field (PEF) has never been tested on complex food system such as sweet whey. In this study, seven PEF pulse-pause combinations were compared with DC current to assess their impacts on whey demineralization. High-frequency PEF improved the demineralization rate by 81% while reducing the energy consumption by about 16%. This was explained by the emergence of ...
- Bazinet, Laurent, et al. Show all 4 Authors
- Journal of cleaner production 2019 v.232 pp. 391-399
- cranberries; crop production; decision making; eco-efficiency; economic valuation; electrodialysis; environmental impact; environmental performance; food production; fruit juices; industry; ion exchange; nutrients; organic acids and salts; polyphenols; production costs; sugar beet; taste; Quebec
- ... Food production and transformation have an increasing impact on the environment. Tools to help the agri-food industry improving its environmental performance whilst increasing the value of the products are highly needed. The present study proposes a new approach to calculate eco-efficiency that goes beyond the production costs, but accounts for the functional value of the foodstuff. Instead of usi ...