Jump to Main Content
- Hansen, Gretchen J. A.; Winslow, Luke A.; Read, Jordan S.; Treml, Melissa; Schmalz, Patrick J.; Carpenter, Stephen R.
- Ecosphere 2019 v.10 no.5 pp. e02737
- game fish, etc ; Sander vitreus; carrying capacity; data collection; ecosystems; fisheries management; freshwater fisheries; habitats; lakes; population dynamics; simulation models; thermodynamics; water quality; water temperature; Minnesota; Show all 15 Subjects
- ... Successful management of natural resources requires local action that adapts to larger‐scale environmental changes in order to maintain populations within the safe operating space (SOS) of acceptable conditions. Here, we identify the boundaries of the SOS for a managed freshwater fishery in the first empirical test of the SOS concept applied to management of harvested resources. Walleye (Sander vi ...
- Blackwell, Brian G.; Kaufman, Todd M.; Moos, Tyrel S.
- Fisheries research 2019 v.216 pp. 59-64
- game fish, etc ; Sander vitreus; fish; fish communities; gillnets; lakes; sport fishing; spring; Great Plains region; South Dakota; Show all 10 Subjects
- ... Walleyes Sander vitreus are an important sport fish found throughout the northern Great Plains of North America. Periods of increased precipitation across the Great Plains can result in new or expanded lakes that contain unexploited fish populations. We assessed angler exploitation of a previously unexploited walleye population to estimate exploitation rates, subsequent changes in walleye abundanc ...