Jump to Main Content
- Zahawi, Rakan A., et al. Show all 3 Authors
- Ecological indicators 2019
- Neotropics; botanical composition; environmental indicators; figs; forests; geographic information systems; habitat connectivity; habitat fragmentation; indigenous species; land cover; landscapes; livestock; species richness; trees; tropical pastures; woody plants; Mexico
- ... Seasonally dry tropical forests in the Neotropics are typically transformed into pasture-dominated landscapes that represent a major threat to habitat biodiversity. Developing alternative management strategies that minimize the loss of native biota in agricultural landscapes is crucial. In a fragmented landscape in Veracruz, Mexico, we analyzed the community attributes of woody vegetation present ...
- Zahawi, Rakan A., et al. Show all 5 Authors
- Conservation letters 2019 v.12 no.2 pp. e12607
- aerial photography; biodiversity; climate change; forest regeneration; habitat fragmentation; land degradation; landscapes; rivers; secondary forests; time series analysis; Costa Rica
- ... Secondary forests are increasingly recognized for conserving biodiversity and mitigating global climate change, but these and other desired outcomes can only be achieved after decades of regeneration, and secondary forests are frequently recleared before they recover to predisturbance conditions. We used a time series of aerial photographs (1947‐2014) to evaluate multidecadal persistence of second ...