Jump to Main Content
- Ault, Andrew P., et al. Show all 12 Authors
- Atmospheric environment 2019 v.213 pp. 456-462
- aerosols; air quality; atmospheric chemistry; climate; coatings; gases; isoprene; model validation; models; mountains; national parks; oxidants; particulates; public health; relative humidity; sulfates
- ... Fine particulate matter (PM2.5) is known to have an adverse impact on public health and is an important climate forcer. Secondary organic aerosol (SOA) contributes up to 80% of PM2.5 worldwide and multiphase reactions are an important pathway to form SOA. Aerosol-phase state is thought to influence the reactive uptake of gas-phase precursors to aerosol particles by altering diffusion rates within ...
- Ault, Andrew P., et al. Show all 19 Authors
- Environmental science & technology 2019 v.53 no.9 pp. 4977-4987
- aerosols; air quality; atomic force microscopy; climate; diurnal variation; liquids; mass spectrometry; mixed forests; mixing; molecular weight; relative humidity; separation; sulfates
- ... Aerosol phase state is critical for quantifying aerosol effects on climate and air quality. However, significant challenges remain in our ability to predict and quantify phase state during its evolution in the atmosphere. Herein, we demonstrate that aerosol phase (liquid, semisolid, solid) exhibits a diel cycle in a mixed forest environment, oscillating between a viscous, semisolid phase state at ...