Jump to Main Content
- Cibils, Andres F., et al. Show all 5 Authors
- Rangeland ecology & management 2019
- air temperature; atmospheric precipitation; calves; climatic factors; databases; drought; global warming; grazing; herd size; latitude; livestock production; livestock productivity; rangelands; time series analysis; topography; vegetation cover; vegetation types; woody plants; New Mexico
- ... A large statewide historical database involving livestock numbers, vegetation cover, precipitation, air temperature, and drought frequency and severity allowed us to explore relationships between climate and rangeland livestock grazing levels and livestock productivity from 1920 to 2017. Trends in vegetation cover and livestock grazing levels from 1984 to 2017 were also explored. Our climate time ...
- Cibils, Andres F., et al. Show all 10 Authors
- Rangeland ecology & management 2019 v.72 no.4 pp. 590-601
- Angus; Hereford; cows; dry season; environmental impact; forage; forbs; global positioning systems; heat; heat tolerance; home range; landscapes; pastures; profitability; rangelands; soil; summer; sustainable agriculture; vegetation; Chihuahuan Desert; New Mexico
- ... Adopting livestock with heritage genetics may help to improve the sustainability of agriculture on rangelands with harsh, challenging conditions. In the Chihuahuan Desert, preliminary evidence suggests that heritage Raramuri Criollo exploit a greater variety of range resources than do conventional cattle. Accordingly, the use of Raramuri Criollo may help sustain vegetation and soils, as well as ag ...