Jump to Main Content
- Cregg, Bert; Ellison, Dana
- Urban forestry & urban greening 2018 v.35 pp. 139-147
- Pinus; Platanus; bark; chlorophyll; containers; growing season; mulching; planting; pollution load; root growth; roots; slow-release fertilizers; soil water; tree growth; trees
- ... We conducted two experiments to evaluate the impact of cultural treatments on growth and establishment of container-grown London planetrees (Platanus × acerifolia’ Bloodgood’). In both experiments, 48 trees grown in 100 l (#25) black plastic containers were assigned at random to one of three root-ball treatments prior to planting; no treatment (Control), outer 3 cm of roots removed around entire r ...
- Coccolo, Silvia; Pearlmutter, David; Kaempf, Jerome; Scartezzini, Jean-Louis
- Urban forestry & urban greening 2018 v.35 pp. 91-105
- Acacia; energy flow; methodology; microclimate; models; natural ventilation; planting; sensation; shade; surface water; temporal variation; thermal stress; trees; urban areas; urban planning; United Arab Emirates
- ... Outdoor human comfort is an important factor in the evaluation of the liveability of a city as well as for promoting people’s health and well-being. In hot arid climates in particular, urban planning and design can considerably impact the day-to-day thermal comfort of the pedestrians, for better or for worse. Strategies to reduce thermal discomfort include shading structures, water bodies, and the ...