Jump to Main Content
- Loures, Raquel Coelho; Pompeu, Paulo Santos
- Marine & freshwater research 2018 v.69 no.12 pp. 1983-1994
- basins; fish; habitats; herbivores; introduced species; inventories; lotic systems; migratory behavior; migratory species; monitoring; species richness; water power; watersheds; Brazil
- ... In reservoir cascades, effects on fish assemblages are expected to strengthen over time and transfer from one reservoir to an adjacent one. To test this, fish-assemblage data from 23 years of monitoring in the Araguari reservoir cascade system, upper Paraná River basin, were analysed. The results showed a clear reduction in richness of native and migratory fish species and an increase of non-nativ ...
- Amaral, Stephen V.; Coleman, Benjamin S.; Rackovan, Jenna L.; Withers, Kelly; Mater, Benjamin
- Marine & freshwater research 2018 v.69 no.12 pp. 1870-1881
- dams (hydrology); fish; fish communities; fluid mechanics; habitats; migratory behavior; probability; spillways; survival rate; water power; Mississippi River; United States
- ... Hydropower dams can negatively affect upstream and downstream migratory fish populations in many ways, such as blocking access to upstream habitats and causing injuries or mortality during downstream passage. For downstream passage at projects in the USA, federal regulators and agencies responsible for oversight of hydropower facilities typically require assessment studies and mitigation to addres ...