Jump to Main Content
- Vernon-Carter, E.J., et al. Show all 4 Authors
- Lebensmittel-Wissenschaft + [i.e. und] Technologie 2018 v.91 pp. 203-212
- Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy; X-ray diffraction; amylose; butter; color; cooking; crystal structure; gelatinization; leaching; manufacturing; pasta; protein secondary structure; sauces; starch granules; temperature; thermal properties; viscoelasticity; viscosity; wheat flour
- ... Roux is an equal part mixture of flour and clarified butter cooked for a few minutes, and is the basic recipe for producing sauces. There is a lack of systematic studies regarding the effects of cooking temperature and time on the characteristics of roux. To this end, roux pasta (50:50 of wheat flour and clarified butter) was prepared to assess the effects of cooking time (1, 2 and 4 min) and temp ...
- Vernon-Carter, E.J., et al. Show all 6 Authors
- International journal of biological macromolecules 2018 v.116 pp. 715-720
- Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy; amylopectin; amylose; corn starch; dispersions; gelatinization; granules; in vitro digestibility; light microscopy; microstructure; polysorbates; resistant starch; surfactants; viscosity; waxy corn
- ... Aqueous dispersions of normal and waxy corn starch (3% w/w) were mixed with Tween 80 (0, 7.5, 15, 22.5 and 30 g/100 g of starch), and gelatinized (90 °C, 20 min). Optical microscopy of the gelatinized starch dispersions (GSDx; x = Tween 80 concentration) revealed that the microstructure was characterized by a continuous phase of leached amylose and amylopectin entangled chains, and a dispersed pha ...