Jump to Main Content
- Borzée, Amaël; Kim, Miyeon; Kim, Jun Young; Kim, Taeho; Jang, Yikweon
- Castanea; Dryophytes; Palearctic region; adults; frogs; hibernation; microhabitats; thermoregulation; trees
- ... Although amphibians undergo drastic changes in physiology and behaviour before hibernation, this phase of their life cycle (i.e., brumation) is the least understood. We investigated the patterns of microhabitat use by Dryophytes japonicus during brumation using a Harmonic Direction Finder to track 27 adults in October 2013. Most frogs used chestnut trees throughout their diel cycle. The species wa ...
- Birbilis, Dimitris; Kakavas, Konstantinos; Chavenetidou, Marina
- European journal of wood and wood products 2018 v.76 no.4 pp. 1353-1358
- Castanea; adults; burl wood; coppicing; earlywood; felling; forests; juvenile wood; latewood; microscopy; orchards; pith; regression analysis; statistical models; trees; wood; xylem vessels
- ... This work includes observations on chestnut logs at woodcutting areas, measurements of some growth characteristics and observations under microscope of chestnut wood cross sections with ring shakes. Some types of ring shakes were developed in logs with abnormalities, such as forking, double-pith, burls, pith eccentricity and elongated cross sections. The ring shake defect mainly occurred on logs f ...