Jump to Main Content
- Ezezika, Obidimma; Oh, Jessica; Edeagu, Ngozi; Boyo, Warami
- nutrition knowledge, etc ; adolescents; attitudes and opinions; diet; eating habits; focus groups; foods; fruits; games; long term effects; nutritional intervention; physical activity; saturated fats; secondary education; students; sugars; vegetables; Nigeria; Show all 18 Subjects
- ... In Nigeria and many parts of sub-Saharan Africa, the availability of foods that are high in salt, sugar, and saturated fat is steadily increasing. This has led to an increase in the consumption of such foods among Nigerians, particularly among adolescents. This pilot study was undertaken to understand whether, and how, gamification of nutrition can have an impact on addressing the problem of unhea ...
- Iron-Segev, Sharon; Lusweti, Janerose Nasimiyu; Kamau-Mbuthia, Elizabeth; Stark, Aliza H.
- Journal of nutrition education and behavior 2018 v.50 no.4 pp. 408-414.e1
- nutrition knowledge, etc ; Africans; clay; community health; developing countries; geophagia; heavy metals; interviews; nutrient deficiencies; nutrition education; nutritional intervention; parasitoses; poisoning; risk; rocks; rural women; soil; vegetables; Kenya; Show all 19 Subjects
- ... Geophagia, the deliberate consumption of rocks, soil, or clay, is prevalent in developing countries, particularly sub-Saharan Africa. Health risks associated with this behavior include parasitosis, heavy metal poisoning, nutrient deficiencies, and poor birth outcomes. This pilot study was designed to reduce geophagic practices and improve nutrition among rural Kenyan women.The researchers used sno ...