Jump to Main Content
- Bilde, Trine, et al. Show all 4 Authors
- Zoologischer Anzeiger 2018 v.273 pp. 240-249
- Araneae; female genitalia; histology; males; micro-computed tomography; secretion; sperm competition; spermatozoa; virgin females
- ... The anatomy of the female genitalia sets the arena for sperm competition in species in which females mate multiply and store sperm. In spiders, females possess cuticular internal structures that have evolved into diverse sperm storage sites. Here, we investigate the female genital morphology of seven eresid spider species. We used X-ray micro-computed tomography for 3D reconstruction of the anatom ...
- Bilde, Trine, et al. Show all 6 Authors
- Journal of evolutionary biology 2018 v.31 no.7 pp. 1035-1046
- Araneae; body condition; breeding season; environmental factors; females; males; prediction; risk; seasonal variation; selection intensity; sexual selection; sperm competition
- ... The expression of alternative reproductive tactics can be plastic and occur simultaneously depending on cues that vary spatially or temporally. For example, variation in resources and sexual selection intensity is expected to influence the pay‐off of each tactic and shape the decision of which tactic to employ. Males of the nuptial gift‐giving spider Pisaura mirabilis can adopt three tactics: offe ...