Jump to Main Content
- Coelho, Elisabete, et al. Show all 7 Authors
- Carbohydrate polymers 2018 v.199 pp. 546-554
- Bacillus subtilis; Trichoderma reesei; brewers grains; chromosomes; enzymatic hydrolysis; experimental design; fermentation; genes; polymerization; prebiotics; secretion; spent grains; xylanases; xylose
- ... Brewers’ spent grain (BSG) is an inexpensive and abundant brewery by-product that can be used to produce prebiotic arabino-xylooligosaccharides (AXOS). In this study, Bacillus subtilis 3610 was used, for the first time, to produce AXOS through direct fermentation of BSG. Additionally, the microorganism was genetically modified to improve the AXOS production. The xylanase gene xyn2 from Trichoderma ...
- Coelho, Elisabete, et al. Show all 8 Authors
- Journal of cleaner production 2018 v.193 pp. 652-660
- apple juice; beta-sitosterol; byproducts; ciders; feed formulation; fructose; glucose; hexane; industrial wastes; ingredients; juice industry; lipophilicity; oligosaccharides; polysaccharides; racing pigeons; sewage; total solids; ultrafiltration; wastewater
- ... Retentate is a by-product of the concentrate apple juice industry, resultant from clarification through an ultrafiltration process. It has a liquid to sludgy appearance, with 8% of total solids content, usually discarded as industrial waste, conveyed as wastewater directly to the sewage plant. However, its origin and expected composition may allow to define its use as a source of valuable compound ...