Jump to Main Content
- Macías-Duarte, Alberto, et al. Show all 5 Authors
- Journal of arid environments 2018 v.156 pp. 41-49
- Ammodramus savannarum; Eremophila alpestris; Passerculus sandwichensis; conservation areas; dry environmental conditions; grasslands; migratory birds; models; moderate resolution imaging spectroradiometer; normalized difference vegetation index; phytomass; remote sensing; space and time; summer; surveys; vegetative growth; winter; wintering grounds; Chihuahuan Desert; Mexico; Southwestern United States
- ... Local winter abundance of grassland passerines is highly variable throughout the Chihuahuan Desert among years. The objective of this study is to determine if plant biomass in grasslands and precipitation are predictors of bird abundance in space and time through Chihuahuan Desert. We conducted avian surveys in 17 Grassland Priority Conservation Areas (GPCA) in northern Mexico and southwestern Uni ...
- Macías-Duarte, Alberto, et al. Show all 4 Authors
- TheWilson journal of ornithology 2018 v.130 no.2 pp. 445-456
- Ammodramus bairdii; Ammodramus savannarum; Bouteloua curtipendula; Bouteloua gracilis; Cenchrus ciliaris; Eragrostis lehmanniana; Leptochloa dubia; Melinis repens; Passerculus sandwichensis; birds; energy intake; energy requirements; grass seed; grasses; grasshoppers; grasslands; seed size; seeds; Chihuahuan Desert
- ... The invasion of exotic grasses is a potential threat to the winter habitat of migratory grassland birds by reducing native sources of seed food. We compared seed preferences among 3 native (blue grama [Bouteloua gracilis], sideoats grama [Bouteloua curtipendula], and green sprangletop [Leptochloa dubia]), and 3 exotic (Lehmann lovegrass [Eragrostis lehmanniana], buffelgrass [Pennisetum ciliare], a ...