Jump to Main Content
- Weltz, Mark A., et al. Show all 4 Authors
- Catena 2018 v.170 pp. 129-140
- canopy; rain; rainfall simulation; rangelands; runoff; sediment transport; sediments; soil; soil erosion; topographic slope; vegetation cover; watersheds
- ... In this paper, we examine the effect of vegetation on soil erosion, runoff generation and sediment transport on saline rangeland hillslopes. Rainfall simulations were conducted at a fixed 114 mm/h intensity on 6 m × 2 m erosion plots with varying degrees of vegetation. Plots were grouped into three categories (L, M and H) based on their canopy cover (L: <5%, M: 5–19%, H: >19%) and selected to limi ...
- Weltz, Mark A., et al. Show all 6 Authors
- Catena 2018
- Artemisia; Bromus tectorum; Juniperus; Pinus; basins; canopy; conifers; ecosystems; grasses; growing season; indigenous species; land management; land ownership; overland flow; perennials; plant cuttings; prediction; prescribed burning; private lands; public lands; raindrop impact; rainfall simulation; rangelands; risk; runoff; sediment yield; sediments; shredding; shrubs; soil; soil resources; sowing; steppes; trees; understory; wildfires; woodlands; Southwestern United States
- ... Pinyon (Pinus spp.) and juniper (Juniperus spp.) woodland encroachment has imperiled a broad ecological domain of the sagebrush steppe (Artemisia spp.) ecosystem in the Great Basin Region, USA. As these conifers increase in dominance on sagebrush rangelands, understory vegetation declines and ecohydrologic function can shift from biotic (vegetation) controlled retention of soil resources to abioti ...