Jump to Main Content
- Rodríguez-Reyes, Oris; Gasson, Peter; Falcon-Lang, Howard J.; Collinson, Margaret E.
- Review of palaeobotany and palynology 2017 v.246 pp. 44-61
- Miocene epoch; Prioria copaifera; botanical gardens; coastal forests; estuaries; fossils; legumes; microstructure; new species; niches; old and fossil wood; paleoecology; wetlands; wood anatomy; North America; Panama; South America
- ... Three fossil wood specimens are described from the Miocene (early to mid-Burdigalian) part of the Cucaracha Formation of Panama, Central America. The calcareously-permineralised fossils, which contain Teredolites borings, occur in erosive-based pebbly conglomerate lenses, interpreted as tidally-influenced fluvial channel deposits. Detailed investigation of fossil wood anatomy reveals features char ...
- Shumilovskikh, Lyudmila S.; Ferrer, Astrid; Schlütz, Frank
- Review of palaeobotany and palynology 2017 v.246 pp. 167-176
- Angiospermae; Ascomycota; Late Cretaceous epoch; coevolution; fossils; fungi; paleoecology; sediments; spores; steppes; wood; Iran
- ... The first Holocene record of the freshwater ascomycete Megalohypha aqua-dulces from the sediment core Kongor (NE Iran) is presented here. Based on the similarity of the spore morphology with the fossil form genus Fusiformisporites, we establish a link between extant and fossil taxa. Comparative analysis of morphological characteristics of fossil spores of Fusiformisporites indicates that several d ...