Jump to Main Content
- Alejandro V. Baladrón; María S. Bó; Marc J. Bechard; Ana I. Malizia
- Journal of raptor research 2017 v.51 no.1 pp. 38-49
- Accipiter striatus; Asio; Athene cunicularia; Circus; Falco sparverius; Tyto alba; autumn; birds of prey; cropland; dominant species; ecosystems; falcons; grasslands; grazing; habitat preferences; habitats; land cover; roadsides; seasonal variation; species diversity; spring; surveys; urban areas; Argentina; Pampas region
- ... We evaluated the species composition, relative abundance, habitat use, and seasonal variability of raptor assemblages in the Flooding Pampas of Argentina, which represents the southeastern part of the biome known as the Rio de la Plata Grasslands. We conducted seasonal roadside surveys to detect raptors in modified and natural habitats over a 3-yr period from spring 2006 through autumn 2009. We cl ...
- Marcelo de Andréa Segall; Luiz Pedreira Gonzaga; Paulo Cesar Paiva
- Wilson journal of ornithology 2017 v.129 no.4 pp. 883-890
- Asio; Athene cunicularia; Strix; Tyto alba; birds of prey; confidence interval; females; principal component analysis; sexual dimorphism; Brazil
- ... .—Male birds of prey are usually smaller than females, known as “Reverse Size Dimorphism” (RSD). We quantified sexual size dimorphism in species that occur in Brazil, and suggest a bootstrap-based approach that allows an estimate of confidence intervals for dimorphism indices. We used body mass, total length, and wing length, measured from museum specimens and a few live birds, to quantify size. W ...